No one knows how they would react in an active shooter situation, and at Alert Protection Services, we hope you never have to find out.
We know that knowledge is a valuable safety tool, and it’s why we’re going to dispel some active shooter myths here. Being informed is a major step toward being prepared. An active shooter alert app such as our Alert-Com app should also be part of your preparation as it gives you vital information in a threat situation.
Here are the myths:
- Shooters are mentally ill and have a profile that can be identified.
- These acts aren’t premeditated.
- There are no warning signs.
- The guns they use are illegally obtained.
- Violent video games provide motivation.
Here’s the truth:
- Most shooters are not diagnosed as mentally ill, and there is no typical profile.
- Planning and premeditation are common in a large percentage of shootings.
- Some signs can provide an alert, including increased aggression and firearm behavior.
- Most shooters legally purchase or possess their weapons.
- Researchers have not found any link between violent games and aggressive behavior.
Now that you have a better idea of things you need to be aware of, we hope you will combine that knowledge with the information you can obtain from ALERT-COM if the need ever arises.